Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Monday, November 22, 2010

Young Women Becoming Nuns on Oprah

I will be tuning into Oprah tomorrow if I can, since she will feature a second episode exploring the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, Michigan, who are bursting at the seams with young vocations.

Here is a link to their congregation.
http://www.sistersofmary.org/index.php

And here is a link explaining the Oprah show's coverage:
http://www.wordonfire.org/WoF-Blog/WoF-Blog/November-2010/Television-Domincan-Sisters-on-Oprah-tomorrow---a.aspx

If you go to either of the links, you can watch an excerpt from the previous Oprah show which has introduced so many to this order that has over 100 sisters whose average age is 28. I have heard first-hand from people who know them that they are deeply joyful women.

What does this have to do with me? Well, as a Catholic some of my greatest heroes and inspirations are nuns or religious sisters. To me they are neither stereotypical, nor a dying race. They are real people who are strong, bold, faithful, compassionate, loving, and beautiful.

They are two religious sisters I witnessed laboring to bring God's love, day-in and day-out, on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. They are a religious sister I know who lives full-time in a home of women with developmental disabilities. They are the young friend of my friend Charles, who has become a nun and taken a new name. They are Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, who picked 40,000 dying "untouchables" off the street and helped them to die with dignity and love. They are St. Therese of Lisieux, "The Little Flower" who has touched millions of lives with her simple example.

As Christians, we are all playing on the same team (or at least we should be!). Each vocation, as a mother, a father, a single person, a husband, a wife, a priest, a deacon, a religious brother, or a religious sister is of inestimable value. At a time when the vocation to being a religious sister may not be as visible, I am heartened that Oprah is taking time to show its continued vitality. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment