Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Vow Formula

These are the words that I will be saying, adding my name in the space, on my knees before the Blessed Sacrament in the middle of Mass on the day of vows. 


Almighty and eternal God, I, ____________________, understand how unworthy I am in your divine sight. Yet I am strengthened by your infinite compassion and mercy, and I am moved by the desire to serve you. I vow to your divine Majesty, before the most holy Virgin Mary and the entire heavenly court, perpetual chastity, poverty, and obedience in the Society of Jesus. I promise that I will enter this same Society to spend my life in it forever. I understand all these things according to the Constitutions of the Society of Jesus. Therefore, by your boundless goodness and mercy, and through the blood of Jesus Christ, I humbly ask that you judge this total commitment of myself acceptable. And as you have freely given me the desire to make this offering, so also may you give me the abundant grace to fulfill it.
At St. Thomas More Church, on the 13th day of August, in the year 2011.

4 comments:

  1. John, we met briefly at JCU last year, at the Holly Schapker art exhibit. I'll keep you in prayer during this profoundly meaningful time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. I've been reading your blog for a while now and I think it's wonderful that you've put this journey out there for everyone to read. I'm very happy and excited for you as you near your ordination date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both so much! I would just like to clear up a point of confusion for many: these vows are not in any way the equivalent of priestly ordination. Although they are a definitive life-commitment to poverty, chastity, and obedience in the Society of Jesus, they precede priestly ordination by about 9 years. However, in the photos you will see me wearing a "priestly" clerical suit. In fact, seminarians and religious are able to wear these before becoming priests, as a visible witness to their future commitment (so long as they never "impersonate" a priest). I just wanted to make that clear since many have asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops! My mistake. I actually wondered about seminarians wearing "the collar." A friend of mine who is a seminarian sent me a picture of himself with it on and I didn't ask. Now I know!

    Still, very very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete