Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Great [and tame] Bachelor Party

I thought I would tell you all briefly about a special celebration that our first-year brothers organized for the 9 of us "vow men" this past Friday while we were on vacation.  It was envisioned in a sense as a "bachelor party," although that term has unfortunately been sullied by some less-than-virtuous connotations :).  Nevertheless, this was meant to be a time of enjoying one another's company before we make this commitment and part ways (in good Jesuit-style) to the "four winds" on our various missions.

After Mass and breakfast, we went to a nearby river and rented canoes.  It was an 11 mile ride that was scenic, contemplative, and quite humorous as many of us frequently banged into rocks, tipped over, etc. because of how shallow the water was.  At one point I seriously feared for my life when we lost our canoe in some "rapids," and I was stuck in the fast waters and rocks.  I prayed the Blessed Mother would "save me," and, thank God, I eventually stumbled to shore.

That evening we went by boat to a local restaurant on the lake.  On the way there, we stopped the boat and some of the guys shared toasts, etc. and why they are taking vows.  These were heartfelt, funny, and spoke to the close bond that we have. One of the comments that most struck me was by one of my vow-brothers who said a former girlfriend had recently told him that in seeing the way he has surrendered in the novitiate, "no woman could have reigned you in like God has."

I treated myself to a barbecue chicken pizza and a pina  colada.  Later in the night one of my first-year brothers took the liberty of ordering me a second :)  It was a beautiful night and a treasure of a memory.

1 comment:

  1. The comment that that old girlfriend had said, really strikes me. I feel that you could say man or woman, depending on to whom it is directed. It is truly an amazing concept, and very true.
    I also love how you had a bachelor party. Somehow, the description of your night, sounds like the truest bachelor party, much more than the typical parties I hear about that seem to be in direct conflict with the union about to be had.
    Congratulations on your vows, which are coming soon, and I wish you all the Blessings of God. Serve Him well :)

    ReplyDelete