Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Sunday, December 19, 2010

Who is Jesus?


One of my favorite parts of Jesuit spirituality (and of the Jesuits in general) is that they are SO focused on Jesus Christ. Makes, sense, doesn't it, considering we are Catholic Christian and are even named the "Society of Jesus"? :)

In the interview with Archbishop Timothy Dolan below, he speaks with Fr. James Martin about how the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius (founder of the Jesuits) are literally 4 weeks of silent prayer devoted to further developing an intimate friendship with Jesus. Of course, that is the hope and goal of many Christians, but is a special gift of this Jesuit way of life and prayer.

Just tonight my brothers and I gathered for an Advent prayer service, and it came into my heart what the late leader of all the Jesuits, Fr. Pedro Arrupe, said when he was asked who Jesus was to him.

His answer?

"For me, Jesus Christ is everything."

Wow, I want a faith like that! :)

In light of that, I will share with you an oft-quoted passage from Fr. Pedro Arrupe:

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.

Fall in love, stay in love and it will decide everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment