Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Saturday, July 30, 2011

What Will Be My Vow Name?

This afternoon 3 of my brothers and I decided to go to a Marian shrine near Green Bay, Wisconsin (about an hour and a half away), at the site of an apparition of the Blessed Mother that has been approved as being of seeming credibility.  If you would like to learn more about this shrine and story, check out their website at:
http://www.gbdioc.org/whoarewe/diocesan-facilities/32-shrine-of-our-lady-of-good-help.html

This was especially significant since I am planning to take "Mary" as my vow name.  I do not have a middle name, since am "the third" and my grandfather did not have one.  The vow name will be added to my confirmation name of "Xavier," which I chose in high school since I was impressed with the profound difference he made as a missionary.  However, at the time I did not know he was a Jesuit!  Thus, the full name I will be professing at vows will be, "John Xavier Mary Roselle III." 

Why Mary?  That actually came to me around October of last year, as I further reflected on how necessary Mary will be for this vocation.  In short, I NEED Mary to live this life with peace, joy, and integrity.  Of course, I would say we ALL need Mary to seek to live the Christian life to the full.  Mary is the model of how to love and serve Jesus.  She is the source of so many graces, since she bore God in her womb and continues to be a chosen vessel to bring people to Him. 

Then there is Mary's role in the grace of chastity, to which we are all called, including married persons.  However, the contemplation of celibacy adds another layer to that.  Before entering, a wise person  told me off-hand to see all beautiful women as "icons of Mary."  As an icon, beauty is a window to the Blessed Mother, who is always seeking to support us. 

1 comment:

  1. Im trying to find some information on whether a full name is read out during the vows of a wedding or just first name & surname. My middle name is just a letter and I would prefer it if the priest just reads out my first and last name, can this be done or for legal reasons does it hve to be the full name?

    ReplyDelete