Personal Introduction

Welcome! My name is John Roselle, SJ, and I took lifelong ("perpetual") vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a Jesuit on August 13th, 2011 after a two-year novitiate. I am now a Jesuit Scholastic for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. I will study philosophy and theology for the next three years at Loyola University in Chicago. At the same time, I will do part-time ministry in some capacity with the poor. After that, I will likely teach for three years before finishing three more years of theology. Then, God willing, I will be ordained a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest! It's a long road, but a blessed, fun, and enriching one. This blog exists as a resource for friends, family, and others who are interested in my progress through the Jesuit process of formation. Every day is its own adventure, and I am happy to have you along with me to share in this. This blog contains my own personal thoughts and should not be taken to speak for the entire Society of Jesus. Feel free to contact me. God bless you!















Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New Ignatian Artwork at John Carroll

Yesterday I was priviledged to attend an art show called "Ad Sum" (roughly translated from Latin, indicating "Here I am"), a collection of paintings created by an artist named  Holly Schapker over the course of three and a half years.  The exhibit is largely based on the life of St. Ignatius and was heavily influenced by Holly's own experience of the Spiritual Exercises.  Many of the scenes were an unusual take on St. Ignatius' life, such as a scene representing St. Ignatius's revelation at the river Cardoner (complete with 4 butterflies symbolizing the four weeks of the Spiritual Exercises).  This is what it looks like:
http://www.hollyschapker.com/adsum-photo%20copy%201.html


I found many of the pieces captivating, such as the portrait of St. Ignatius, eyes glimmering with characteristic tears, smiling in contemplation of the viewer.  Here is a link to this portrait:
http://www.hollyschapker.com/adsum-photo.html

I think these pieces display some of the interior freedom of St. Ignatius and his spirituality.  "Ad Sum" will be on display at John Carroll for the next month in the Dolan Art Gallery.  More information on the exhibit can be found at:
http://www.hollyschapker.com/adsum.html

No comments:

Post a Comment